+91 98940 - 95096

Today Date : Monday, June 24, 2024

Govt announces compensation govt job Footballer at  Priya family

Govt announces compensation govt job Footballer at Priya family

Eighteen-year-old football player from the city, R Priya, whose right leg was amputated after government doctors had  botched up a ligament surgery last week, died on Tuesday morning.  She is said to have died of multiple organ failure at Rajiv Gandhi government general hospital (RGGGH) in the city.

Shortly after her death, health minister Ma Subramanian had announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the family members and a government job to one of her three siblings. Priya, who was studying first year of physical education at Queen Mary’s college, consulted doctors at Periyar Nagar government peripheral hospital for her leg pain.

Following a test, the doctors told her that a ligament was found to be torn on her knee, and that it would have to be patched up through a surgery. When she met doctors of RGGGH for a second opinion, the same recommendation was made. The girl had undergone arthroscopy surgery at Periyar Nagar government peripheral hospital to repair the ligament on her right knee on November 7.

Shifted to RGGGH

The next day, she was shifted to RGGGH as she was suspected to have a blood clot. Following a series of tests and treatments, doctors announced that the tissues on her right leg were dead, and the only way to save her life was to amputee her right leg. On November 9, she had undergone the amputation surgery and then on November 14, she had undergone another surgery to remove more dead tissues.  Since then, she was on life support in the intensive care unit as she was unconscious.  She was constantly monitored by the doctors. 

But she died on Tuesday morning around 7:15.Speaking to reporters, the health minister said, two doctors at the Periyar Nagar hospital were transferred after negligence on their part were found by an inquiry committee ordered by the state government and legal action would be taken against them.

“The girl’s arthroscopy  a procedure for diagnosing and treating joint problems was done successfully at the Periyar Nagar hospital but the bandage, which was wrapped on her leg to prevent blood clotting, was done too tightly and it had damaged the blood veins,” he said Pointing out that she was found healthy when he visited her on Sunday, he said that there was nothing wrong in the treatment that was provided  to her but the medical negligence has caused her life.